Half of my week goes on explaining to a buyer in Europe that a customs union is not a free trade agreement. The A.TR in the file says the goods are in free circulation. It says nothing about where the yarn was spun. For origin I still take a movement certificate to the chamber, collect the approval, and the paper travels with the driver. That rhythm has not changed here in years, which is why a notice I read this week sat badly with me.
Not my corridor: exports out of the EU into the Pacific states under their interim partnership agreement. From the first of September those states no longer accept a EUR.1 at all. Preference there now rests on wording the exporter puts on his own invoice, and only if he holds a registration under EU law, with that number inside the text. It went into the Official Journal back in June and German customs repeated it for their own exporters the next day, so nobody was ambushed. What I cannot find is a word about certificates issued before that date, or about a box on the water when it turned.
Then the part I keep rereading. The same notice lets an exporter who has no number yet write the wording anyway, leaving the number out. So an officer is handed two things that look alike: one declaration carrying a registration number, one carrying none. One is the fallback the text permits. The other is what you write when your registration is still sitting in somebody's queue.
I have never claimed preference under that agreement and will not pretend otherwise. But the stamped certificate is being retired agreement by agreement, and my corridor is in that queue somewhere. When your market made the same switch, what did the counter actually do with an unnumbered declaration, and did anyone recover the preference afterwards?