importer side: my entry only carries the subheading, never the fruit name. make the buyer send you the line he actually files, then read the annex against that. press releases do not clear customs.
Season figures landed yesterday and I have been reading them backwards.
The 12.5 percent Section 301 surcharge on our goods has been on since the small hours of 24 July, with a short window for anything already loaded and entered by 28 July. Everything I can find in writing says avocados, kiwifruit and fresh oranges came out of it. None of that is how the annex is written. The annex is subheadings, and one part of it is a list for individual economies rather than a single list covering everybody.
So the fruit name is not the answer. Oranges, mandarins and lemons live in the same heading, and only one of the three is spoken of as excluded.
The United States still took about thirty percent of our volume this season. That is the part I did not expect, and it makes next season's allocation a decision rather than a shrug.
We are sizing that fruit now. Before I tell a grower where his cartons are going, I want to know how you establish that a line is actually out, rather than a fruit somebody named in a press release. Do you read the annex yourself, or make the importer confirm the subheading first?
importer side: my entry only carries the subheading, never the fruit name. make the buyer send you the line he actually files, then read the annex against that. press releases do not clear customs.
Knitwear out of Izmir into Europe, so I meet this from the other end. We sit inside a customs union rather than a free trade agreement, and even there the thing that decides duty is the subheading on the import declaration, never the description on my invoice. Every season somebody at a fair tells me a measure has come off cotton knitwear because a minister said so. The annex is not written in those words. It is written in subheadings, and one heading covering three fibres can carry two of them out and leave the third in.
So before we allocate, we do what Gary says and then one thing more. We classify the goods ourselves from the spec sheet, separately from the buyer's email, and compare the two lines. When they disagree, the disagreement is the finding: it usually means the split hangs on something nobody wrote down, grammage in my case, variety or presentation in yours. At that point anyone with a real interest can ask the importing customs for a written decision in advance, and an exporter counts as that. Slower than a press release, and the only thing I have seen survive an entry.
Your line about the fruit name not being the answer is the bit I paid to learn. A headline said a measure covered kitchenware, I quoted a whole season on it, and my buyer's broker had been filing my mugs on a different line to the one I assumed. The carve-out never reached my cartons. I found out from an invoice.
Now I ask for a line off an entry that already happened, not the one a buyer means to use. Then I read the subheadings either side of it, because that is where it caught me.
Do all your buyers file the same carton the same way?