Sanity check, and I will lay out what I have read before I ask, because this is the kind of line where the missing detail turns out to be the one that mattered.
CBP put out updated Section 232 pharmaceutical guidance on 28 September in CSMS 70054007. Alongside it, the Commerce technical corrections from the 23 September notice created a new heading, 9903.04.70, which took effect on 29 September. It gives zero additional duty to pharmaceutical articles and their ingredients where the only use is a clinical trial, research and development, or some other non-commercial purpose. For anything patented and of EU origin, the comparison is 9903.04.62 at a combined 15%, so on investigational product going from Ireland to a US trial site that is not a rounding difference.
What I have checked: the CSMS text and two summaries of the Commerce notice. What I have not found in any of them is a word on evidence. No certification, no statement on the invoice, nothing about what the importer of record should hold if CBP asks why a given carton was declared under the zero heading.
What I am assuming, and would like someone to tell me I am wrong about: that the burden sits with whoever claims it, and that "only for a trial" will be read narrowly. That leaves me with two cases I cannot settle. The first is comparator drug, which is a marketed product bought in and relabelled for blinding. Its use is a trial, but the article itself is commercial. The second is excess trial stock that ends up on a different path after the study closes.
For temperature controlled consignments, a query at the border is not a paperwork problem for long, so I would rather build the file now than at the hold. My instinct is the protocol reference, the sponsor's confirmation of trial use, and the depot's destruction or return records. Is that what others are keeping, has anyone seen CBP say anything more specific since the 29th, or am I overthinking a heading that will mostly be waved through?