El Paso, sometime in the late nineties, I kept my own version of Dale's habit: not the table of contents, the general notes section, the part nobody bothered to read past once. I had it marked up with a highlighter because paging through the whole schedule cold would have eaten the morning. We called it the cheat sheet, and I mean me and four other guys on the floor, not the agency. Nobody in a supervisor's office ever blessed a highlighter.
Dale's habit is sound and I would not talk him out of it. Chapter groupings hold for a long stretch between the big revisions, so a seven year old table of contents will still walk you to the right neighborhood nine times out of ten. What it will not tell you is when that neighborhood gets rezoned. Every so often a revision reshuffles the subheadings inside a chapter wholesale, and once in a while moves a product group to a different chapter entirely. Your only map, the old one, gets you close but not to the number, and in this business close is the same as nowhere.
What I would do today is exactly what Dale does, with one habit added: write the date on the cover and treat it as a warning label, not a badge. When the next revision lands, retire the old copy to a drawer and start fresh. The shortcut is worth keeping. The expiration date on it is the part nobody tells the junior broker.