Not a housewares answer, so take this as the view from the export side of reefers going into the US. I do not file the entries, the consignee's broker does, so what follows is what I have been told, not what I have checked.
The bit I could not get a straight answer on is the one you raise at the end. If several boxes share one entry and one of them is picked for exam, does release wait for the lot, or can the clean boxes go? I searched and found plenty on exam types and timings, nothing that settles partial release on a multi container entry. That is the whole question for us, because a hold on temperature controlled stock is not a paperwork problem for long. The cap saving would have to be very large to cover one spoiled box.
So before I would ask for it, I would want a broker to tell me in writing how a single exam plays out. Has anyone actually had one entry split at release? Or am I overthinking a fee saving that only matters at the top of the range?
Orla, my side of the border answers it the other way round. A consolidated pedimento in Mexico is the paperwork for the week, but the semáforo is pressed for each truck. One truck goes red and gets inspected, the other trucks on that same pedimento keep rolling. The saving and the hold are kept apart by design.
Whether a US entry can split release like that, I honestly do not know, and I would not put a reefer on a broker's shrug either. Gary, has your broker ever had one box pulled off a multi box entry?
