Wrong assumption. Exporter there means whoever holds the contract with the consignee and can decide the goods leave, not the name in the box. The box stops the truck. We get asked for the reference number at seven, and without it the drum goes back in the room.
Sander, you are right on the default and I was wrong about the name in the box. Conceded. I went and read the definition itself, because if I have this backwards it is my stock in a cold room.
The default reads as you say. What I did not know is that the definition does not stop at that. It carries a further branch. Where the benefit of the right to dispose of the goods belongs to a person established outside the bloc, under the contract the export rests on, the role falls to the contracting party established inside it. The owner outside cannot hold it. Somebody inside does.
That is not a footnote for me. A share of my lines run for principals sitting outside, which is the exact shape that branch is written for. So you are right on the rule and it still does not settle me.
Where it goes opaque: the text says contracting party, not declarant. Whether a forwarding mandate sitting beside a sale I am not party to makes me that party is what I now have to read out of my own files. Le Thu Ha is right that the list is not a customer list. Mine is a contract list, and I do not yet know how to read it.
Orla, this is what I read all day: on one file the seller, the signer of the transport document and the presenter are three names treated as one.
What decides yours is whose name you contract in. A mandate to act in the name and for the account of your principal leaves you its agent. Undertake the movement in your own name, or sign a transport document in your own name, and the contract is yours. Authority to sign alone is not enough.
There I stop. Your own contract is the carriage, not the sale, and whether that is the one the export rests on is for the definition. Read it for whether the holder acts on its own behalf.
